This bulletin applies to 2013-2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport/RVR vehicles. The CVT may not be able to shift out of the Park position. Remove the RH console side panel.
While watching the movement of the shift lock solenoid, have someone apply the brakes with the ignition on to determine of the solenoid retracts. If the solenoid does not retract or retracts slowly, it may be due to foreign material/residue built up in the solenoid plunger bore/plunger. This would prevent the solenoid from retracting.
Remove the solenoid for cleaning as follows:
- Remove the solenoid from the shifter assembly by gently releasing Tab 1 (see photo).
- Carefully wedge a small screwdriver into the channel of Tab 2 to release the lower locking tab.
- Remove the solenoid by pulling it straight out.
- Unplug the electrical connector.
- Remove the spring and plunger and clean them with soap and water.
- Dampen a paper towel or lint-free rag with water and insert it into the bore of the solenoid to clean.
- Reattach the electrical connector and re-install the solenoid to the shifter.
- Confirm the operation.
If the shifter becomes damaged it can cause the shifter to become difficult to move. It is no longer necessary to replace the complete shift lever assembly if the repair can be completed with replacement of the gearshift lever cover P/N 2400A577 and A/T shift indicator slider P/N 2400A578.