The process used to reduce sulfur to create ultra-low-sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuel also reduces the fuel’s lubricating properties. Less lubricity reduces the elasticity of seals, gaskets and other rubber or synthetic components. At the same time, the fuel holds small but potentially problematic quantities of water, which can cause corrosion as well as faster formation of gums, varnishes and carbon deposits. As a result, an engine running on ULSD may start to run rough and suffer from pinging, rattling and knocking.
Rislone offers a product you can recommend that is designed to improve diesel fuel quality to increase its cleaning ability, adding lubrication, removing contaminants, fighting corrosion and helping to prevent the fuel from gelling and going bad.
Instead of buying as many as eight individual additives, a single bottle of Rislone Complete Diesel Fuel System Treatment (P/N 4740) has everything customers need in one easy-to-install bottle, the company says. This includes ULSD sulfur substitute, injector and complete fuel system cleaner, upper cylinder lubricant, anti-gel cold flow improver, fuel stabilizer and conditioner, and even cetane booster.
Here’s a rundown on the Rislone Complete Diesel Fuel System Treatment additives and the benefits customers will see:
- ULSD (Ultra-Low-Sulfur Diesel) Sulfur Substitute Lubricant. Provides fuel system lubrication to protect the various parts of the engine’s fuel injection system from wear. This reduces noise, increases power and saves fuel.
- Injector and Complete Fuel System Cleaners. Provides cleanup for coking and ULSD deposits to increase fuel economy, improve power and acceleration, reduce emissions and enhance engine life.
- UCL (Upper Cylinder Lubricant) Pump and Injector Lubricant. Provides corrosion protection and improves starting and idle.
- Anti-Gel Cold Flow Improver. Provides up to a 23 degrees F reduction in the cold filter plugging point (CFPP) to improve low-temperature performance.
- Fuel Stabilizer and Conditioner. Helps to stabilize the fuel and improve biodiesel performance.
- Water Remover. Works to prevent excess moisture from damaging injectors and corroding fuel lines.
- Cetane Booster and Diesel Treatment. Boosts cetane to help reduce black smoke.
Rislone Complete Diesel Fuel System Treatment is designed to work with all light, medium and heavy duty diesel engines, including those running on ULSD and biodiesel. It will not harm the engine or any emissions components, including catalytic converters, particulate filters, EGR valve or DEF systems, according to the company.