The Dent Fix Shunting Pliers, No. DF-SP360, allow non-conductive coated metals, like an E-coat, to accept squeeze-type resistance spot welding (STRSW). The heavy duty copper pads and thick wire attachments shunt or redirect the current to bypass the non-conductive coating and eliminate the need to remove the entire coating. To use, remove the coating from only the outside surfaces, position the shunting clamp at the spot weld site, and the spot weld is made at the adjacent site. The current chooses the path of least resistance when confronting the non-conductive E-coat, the shunting pliers facilitate the electrical current from one side to the other, and the E-coat at the mating surface burns away.
Allows for STRSW and weld bonding of panels with non-conductive coatings like E-coat or adhesives.
- During the STRSW process, iCAR requires shunting of the current for the first weld when there is a nonconductive coating like E-coat or adhesive on the mating flanges.
- When weld bonding, iCAR requires a dedicated shunting clamp to be used for the best weld performance.
- Helps save the corrosion protective properties of the E-coat since less is removed using shunting pliers.
Features and benefits
- Shunts the current -- allows for STRSW and weld bonding of panels with non-conductive coatings like E-coat or adhesives.
- Saves protective E-coat during the repair process -- most of the E-coat on the mating surfaces can be preserved when replacing a part with STRSW through the use of a shunting clamp. The E-coat only has to be removed on the outside surfaces. The shunting clamp is positioned at the first weld site and the first spot weld is made at the adjacent site.
- Thick copper wire and pads allow for easy current flow for optimal weld conditions.
- Easy to use -- works like most clamp pliers and holds firmly in place.
Dent Fix developed this version of the tool in response to the high amount of frustrated customers who, after reading the iCAR bulletin, were unable to source the tool themselves, according to the company. As a result, the Dent Fix Shunting Pliers, No. DF-SP360, was born and now much of the factory-installed E-coatings on vehicles can be saved during the repair process.
Researched, developed, and engineered in the U.S.A. Made in Taiwan.
Storage and display
Individually boxed, one unit per box. For display, suggested placing is next to the welding supplies.
To view a video demonstration of this product, visit VehicleServicePros.com/21089617.
Suggested retail price
For more information