“Do you have a little time to talk about what we can do for your business?”
Sound familiar? No doubt a lot of your vendors ask this kind of question. While investing your valuable time in a discussion with a company rep may seem inconvenient, these talks can prove quite productive. Take your paint supplier. Odds are you’re content with the vendor you’ve chosen. But have you considered how much more a vendor could be doing for you?
Paint companies invest millions annually into developing new products and services to ensure your shop stays profitable so they can keep your business. Yet, if you’re simply sticking to the same few products there’s a great chance you’re only scratching the surface of where their offerings could take your work and revenue.
Don’t miss out. Consider what these new products from paint manufacturers could be doing for your shop.
If your shop sees its share of fleet work, restoration projects or concentrates on commercial vehicles, AkzoNobel has three new products you might want to consider.
Sikkens Autocoat BT LV262 Multi-Substrate Epoxy Primer is a two-component, high solids, 3.5 VOC product designed for commercial vehicle manufacturers, builders and fleet refinish markets. It can be used as a high-build surfacer or sealer and requires no pre-treatment (making for a faster and simpler application process). The primer also provides patented corrosion resistance technology effective on aluminum and multiple types of steel substrates, including galvanized and stainless. AkzoNobel says LV262 provides consistent performance in a wide range of environmental conditions, along with excellent flow, hold out and first-rate adhesion and durability.
Next up is Sikkens Autocoat BT LV151 DTM, a new generation 3.5 VOC emission direct-to-metal topcoat designed for OE builders, fleet repairer and refurbishing application businesses looking for coatings engineered to be simple to use and cost efficient. A straight forward 5:1 mix ratio helps minimize the risk of errors and allows the product to be mixed for three standard gloss levels: 30, 50 and 70 gloss. Since there’s no need to apply primers, material costs and application times both are reduced. For further time savings, LV151 TM offers an air-dry additive to accelerate room temperature drying.
In addition, the product utilizes Sikkens Autocoat BT solid color toner palette for a large range of existing color formulas and is free from lead, chromate and cobalt to protect the health of your employees and business.
Looking for an easy-to-apply clear coat? Sikkens Autocoat BT LV651 Glamour Clear promises easy sanding and polishing up to 72 hours after application. Improved sag resistance on large objects makes it suitable for commercial vehicle applications and can reduce defects on rivets, style lines and decals. AkzoNobel says LV651 Glamour Clear works with VOC accelerator for a wide range of applications and drying conditions.
Axalta offers repair and prep products formulated to work specifically with their finishes.
The company says its Cromax ChromaPremier Pro 36004S Ultra Performance Primer Filler is based on a new chemistry. It’s formulated to be easy to use with no flash-off between coats and offers a pot life longer than many competitors (30 minutes – 1 hour at 70 degrees Fahrenheit or 21 degrees Celsius).
Axalta PS4000 Metal Pretreatment Wipes are based on a special acid chemistry, come ready-to-use and aredesigned to make the metal pretreatment process very fast and easy. The wipes provide both adhesion and corrosion protection for the subsequent paint process. They work with Axalta brands that include Cromax, Spies Hecker, Standox and Nason.
To prepare a surface and apply the Pro 36004S Ultra Performance Primer Filler:
- Clean painted surface thoroughly with mild detergent and water.
- When using the product as a primer, sand and featheredge with P180 / P240 / P320 grit paper.
- Remove sanding sludge with suitable surface cleaners.
- For bare metal substrates, PS4000 Metal Pretreatment Wipes are mandatory. Non-use can be detected analytically.
- For substrates other than unprimed plastic or fiberglass, wipe surface with suitable cleaner. Do not use etch primer under 3600XS Ultra Performance Primer Filler.
- For unprimed plastic and fiberglass, refer to the plastic repair procedure.
- Apply 2-4 medium wet coats. Apply flat after the first coat.
To prepare surfaces and use the PS4000 Metal Pretreatment Wipes:
- Sand and clean any bare steel sanded, galvanized steel or soft aluminum.
- Substrates must be dry and free from grease, oil and other foreign matter before pretreatment with PS4000. (PS4000 is not a cleaning wipe.)
- Apply even and thoroughly in a cross-wipe application method. Ensure the surface remains wet for at least 1 minute.
- Only apply on bare metal areas. The same wipe should not be used for different types of metal surfaces.
If you’re interested in a low-VOC cleaner, BASF’s 151 LIMCO Cleaner is its economy line’s first waterborne cleaner and is compliant in all regions. This product was developed to clean light-duty and water-soluble contaminants from:
- existing paint films
- clean, sanded OEM finishes
- most unpainted plastic parts and
- gel-coated fiberglass.
BASF says Limco 151 Cleaner improves adhesion of subsequent coats. The company also touts the cleaner for doing a better job cleaning water-soluble contaminants than existing solvent-borne cleaners. Limco 151 Cleaner possesses antistatic properties, can be used as a pre-paint cleaner and works under all Limco solvent-borne undercoats and topcoats.
To use, wipe on with a clean towel and dry off with a clean towel. Note that BASF says the product can be used on bare metal but should not be allowed to pool or sit for more than 15 seconds to avoid oxidation. If the bare metal begins to haze, scuff it until shiny and re-clean.
Do you have the need—the need for speed? If you’re looking for an end-to-end solution for quick repairs, check out PPG’s Deltron Speed Repair System. Built for economical spot and panel repairs or air-drying scenarios, the system addresses scratches, dings and small dents, as well as dimples resulting from hailstorms. The three-component system features PPG’s:
- DPS3105 V-Prime Quick Prime Urethane Surfacer, featuring dry-to-sand times in as little as 30 minutes. The product is rollable and promises to dry to a gloss-like finish, providing the benefits of a built-in guide coat.
- Deltron DBC basecoat, the recommended topcoat for the speed prime repair. It can be applied directly to the urethane surfacer and requires 15 minutes to air dry. (In some cases, painters may choose to apply DBC 500 color blender as a “wet bed” before applying the basecoat.)
- DC2000 Ultra Velocity Clearcoat, which requires no flash between coats and is designed to air dry, ready to polish, in 25 to 30 minutes.
A sample application for slight damage involves the following steps:
- Thoroughly wash entire vehicle with soap and water.
- Clean areas to be repaired with SWX350 H2O-SO-CLEAN followed by SX330 or SXA330 ACRYLI-CLEAN Wax and Grease remover.
- Sand damaged area with P220 grit by hand or by using a dual action sander. A 3-inch disk may be used to keep the area as small as possible. Be careful to not cut-through the OEM finish to metal.
- After sanding, blow off surface with compressed air and re-clean with SX330 or SXA330 followed by SWX350.
- If any bare metal is exposed in the sanding process, mix and apply two coats of ONECHOICE SX1071 ECOBASE or SXA1031 Etch Prime - Gray to any bare metal areas and allow to dry.
- Mix and apply up to three coats of DPS3105 V-PRIME Quick Prime Urethane Surfacer using a reverse priming technique and allow to dry.
- Block sand primer surfacer with P320 grit paper until flat and then finish with P600.
- Re-clean one final time and continue with recommended PPG Deltron Premium topcoat systems
A sample application for moderate damage requiring body filler involves the following steps:
- Thoroughly wash entire vehicle with soap and water.
- Clean areas to be repaired with SWX350 H2O-So-Clean followed by SX330 or SXA330 Acryli-Clean Wax and Grease remover.
- Sand damaged area with P180 grit by hand or by using a dual action sander. A 3-inch disk may be used to keep the area as small as possible.
- After sanding blow off surface with compressed air and re-clean with SX330 or SXA330, followed by SWX350.
- Mix and apply DF705 TECHNIFILL Plus lightweight body filler to areas where filler is needed.
- Sand and block filler with P180 grit paper, followed by P320 grit in preparation for primer surfacer.
- Thoroughly scuff panel edges with a scotch brite pad then finish sand the entire panel with P600 dual action sander.
- Blow off surface with compressed air and re-clean with SX330 or SXA330 followed by SWX350.
- Mix and apply 2 coats of OneChoice SX1071 Ecobase or SXA1031 Etch Prime - Gray to any bare metal areas and allow to dry.
- Mix and apply up to 3 coats of DPS3105 V-Prime Quick Prime Urethane Surfacer using a reverse priming technique and allow to dry for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Block sand primer surfacer with P320 grit paper until flat and finish with P600 grit.
- Re-clean one final time and continue with recommended PPG Deltron Premium topcoat systems.
|Contact a Paint Company|
AkzoNobel - www.akzonobel.com
Axalta - www.axalta.com/us
PPG - www.ppgrefinish.com
Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes - www.sherwin-automotive.com
Martin Senour - www.martinsenour-autopaint.com/home
Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes
Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes (SWAF) is on its own mission to bundle production and quality in a cost-cutting package. The company recently added CC250 Dynamic+ Clearcoat to its line of premium speed glamour coatings. SWAF says it features fast application and quick, low-temp bake cycle times that are capable of consistently delivering excellent gloss, hold out, and appearance. CC250+ also can be “short-baked” for increased productivity and features SWAF’s Ure-Flex technology that eliminates any need for a flex additive for flexible substrates (creating additional savings).
It’s designed for use over Ultra 9K Basecoat, Ultra 7000 Basecoat and AWX Performance Plus Basecoat colors.
SWAF also has added Martin Senour PRO Filler Body Filler to its line of lightweight filler, fiberglass reinforced filler and putty. SWAF says the filler provides professional-grade adhesion and sanding properties, eliminates micro-pinholes and is versatile enough for any repair job.
Martin Senour Product Manager Nick Dowling says the PRO Filler line “allows for seamless repair “ and will be “an asset in any job that requires a product with strong adhesion and smooth application.”
Note that the complete PRO Filler product line (listed below) is available exclusively at NAPA Auto Parts:
- PRO Lite Lightweight Body Filler
- PRO Grip Premium Lightweight Body Filler
- PRO Strand Short Strand Fiberglass Reinforced
- PRO Strand XL Long Strand Fiberglass Reinforced
- PRO Gold Finishing Glaze & Putty, and
- PRO Spot 1k Air Dry Putty.
From cleaners, surfacers, primers and fillers to repair kits and paint systems, your paint suppliers have solutions that can save you time and put more money into your pockets. A call or email is all that’s necessary to set up a discussion that can transform your paint department with a host of available products that may be sitting right under your nose.