"Even if you don't have to cope with winter weather where you live," said Russ Reynolds, CEO of Batteries Plus, "heat and humidity can cause battery problems, too. The bottom line is that it's no fun having to deal with a dead battery, no matter what the weather. That's why we recommend having the car's battery checked every three to six months."
Reynolds offers these battery inspection and maintenance tips designed to maximize the battery life and improve its performance in any climate.
Note: If you attempt battery maintenance yourself, always wear proper eye, hand and body protection to help prevent burns and serious injury from the acid and corrosive chemicals inside the battery. Tip 1:
Loose battery hold-downs leave the battery subject to vibrations, which can cause the active material to shed from the car battery plate grids, resulting in a shorter battery life.
What to do: Secure the battery firmly to its mounting bracket.
Corroded terminals resulting from sulfuric acid overflows from the lead acid cells within the battery, or moisture buildups, can also cause a car battery to fail over time.
What to do:
- Check the terminals where the battery cables connect and make sure they are tight and corrosion-free. If you see corrosion, ask a qualified technician to fix the problem.
- Keep terminal clamps clean. If you see an accumulation of a powdery, white substance around the electrodes, use baking soda and water to clean the clamps.
- Prevent future corrosion by using an anti-corrosion spray on the exposed metal parts of the terminals and cables.
Visible swelling, cracks or vents in thenbattery's case are an indication that the battery is failing and should be replaced.
- Do a visual inspection of the battery regularly. If you see indications of battery failure, have the battery checked by a qualified technician and replaced if necessary.
- Keep the battery clean. Even small amounts of dirt deposited on the battery can lead to a power "leak" and cause uncontrolled discharge and power loss.
For more information visit www.batteriesplus.com.