Ingersoll Rand recently launched their IQ Series of cordless power tools, which includes the W040 1/4", W150 3/8" and W360 1/2" impact wrenches, as well as the 19.2-volt D650 and 14.4-volt D550 drills. Key features of the new line include:
- More efficient battery technology in order to provide a better power/volt ratio. This means that more power can be generated from smaller, lighter, and lower voltage batteries.
- Composite housings for greater structural strength with minimum weight, via a reinforced metal design that provides extra strength and greater drop resistance.
- A patented twist-to-lock mechanism that provides a more secure grip on the battery.
- A charger that can handle varying battery voltages and chemistries, including nickel-cadmium and lithium-ion batteries from 7.2 to 19.2 volts. The charger can also read the battery in order to optimize its charge and improve battery performance and longevity. For nickel-cadmium batteries, IR states that the charger can extend the usable battery life by 5-fold, and significantly decrease the number of replacement batteries that will be needed over the life of the tool.
- A 1-year, hassle-free replacement, a 2-year or 1,000 charges limited battery replacement, and a 3-year limited warranty cover the tool and charger.