Propane autogas sales reached record numbers in 2013 as leading original equipment manufacturers introduced light and medium duty vehicles and added more EPA- and CARB-certified conversions. To commemorate this milestone, the Propane Education & Research Council (PERC) is releasing an online video series featuring interviews with top fleets across the country about their experiences using propane autogas.
The Straight Talk videos feature real stories from five fleet managers at public and private organizations that use propane autogas in significant portions of their fleets. Participants include DIRECTV, Mesa Public Schools, ThyssenKrupp Elevator, AAustin Express Inc. and Prince George’s County, Md. The series will be released online beginning Jan. 22 on propanestraighttalk.com.
"We find that the best business case for propane autogas is made by professionals discussing their experiences converting and using the fuel every day," Michael Taylor, director of propane autogas for PERC, said. "This series gives fleet managers a candid look at how propane autogas performs for fleets in any business stage across operations."
Each week, one new video interview from the five participating organizations will be posted on PERC’s Straight Talk site leading up to the NTEA Green Truck Summit and Work Truck Show, March 4-7. The videos were shot during the Alternative Clean Transportation (ACT) Expo in Washington, D.C., and document topics PERC identifies as important to fleets considering a switch to alternative fuels: return on initial investment, ease of installation, and access to affordable refueling infrastructure.
"ThyssenKrupp Elevator has been operating propane autogas vehicles for three years," Tom Armstrong, director of fleet at ThyssenKrupp, said. "The fuel has proven to be the best option for our fleet and sustainability goals. At the end of the day, peer resources like these videos can provide crucial insights to prepare fleet managers to test the fuel themselves."
Release dates for the videos are scheduled throughout January and February.
• Jan. 22: Introductory video highlighting topics covered throughout the series.
• Jan. 29: Interview with Ron Latko, director of transportation and fleet management, Mesa, Ariz., Public Schools.
• Feb. 5: Interview with Tom Armstrong, fleet manager, ThyssenKrupp Elevator.
• Feb. 12: Interview with Rick Hilmer, fleet manager, Prince George’s County, Md.
• Feb.19: Interview with Adam McCloe, VP operations, AAustin Express Inc. & GM Freight, Inc.
• Feb. 26: Interview with Brandon Morris, director of fleet services, DIRECTV.