Beginning with trucks being built in July 2013, PreSet Plus hub assemblies from Consolidated Metco (ConMet) will be standard on all Peterbilt Class 8 trucks manufactured at its Denton, TX plant.
"Peterbilt trucks have always been at the forefront of product technology and innovation," explains Bill Kozek, Peterbilt General Manager. "ConMet's PreSet Plus hub assemblies support that tradition by insuring our trucks are equipped with the most advanced wheel ends on the market.
PreSet Plus hub assemblies feature ConMet Premium bearings, which offer a significant advantage over standard bearings:
- 40 percent improvement in surface finish that results in superior rolling contact, reduced friction, lower operating temperatures and increased lubrication.
- Precisely engineered profiles minimize raceway and roller stresses under heavy loads and better utilize the roller length under light loads
- Increased bearing life even when used in demanding conditions such as wide-base single wheels and misalignment due to spindle wear.
In addition, PreSet Plus hubs outperform other products through superior design elements:
- An integrated spindle nut simplifies installation, protects components during installation and removal, and aids in removal of the assembly during service.
- The patented nut system increases clamp, improves safety and eliminates adjustments required to engage a locking ring.
- A new bearing spacer has been optimized for the PreSet Plus system to accommodate higher clamp loads.
"We wanted to set the bar even higher when it comes to wheel hub technology," explained Mark Wagner, VP of Wheel Ends for ConMet. "PreSet Plus provides Peterbilt with a product that is easier to install than conventional hubs and is easier for technicians to service."
The PreSet Plus advantages go beyond those stated above:
- All components are field serviceable
- Bearings are pre-adjusted (no bearing adjustment is required)
- Long life oil seal is standard
- Magnetic fill plug is included on drive and trailer hubs for inspection of metal particles in lubricant
- Simplified re-installation
PreSet Plus hub assemblies are available in aluminum for lightweight solutions and in iron for non-weight sensitive applications. There are designs for steer, drive and trailer axles as well as for disc and drum brakes.
Based in Denton, Texas, Peterbilt Motors Company combines a global reputation for industry leading design, innovative engineering and fuel efficiency solutions, with superior quality to engineer a truck that stands as the "Class" of the industry. Through its 260-plus North American dealer locations, Peterbilt also provides a comprehensive array of aftermarket support programs to complement its full lineup of on-highway, vocational and medium duty products, including alternative fuel vehicles. Peterbilt is a PACCAR Company, traded publicly on the NASDAQ as PCAR.
Consolidated Metco is a leading supplier of hub assemblies, hub & rotor assemblies and brake drums.
New wheel end bearings designed for precision, performance and longevity
Helpful tips from ConMet's PreSet®Hubs and SKF Sealing Solutions.