To help automotive shops improve cleanliness and productivity, Cintas Corp. announced 10 tips for maintaining a clean shop environment. From auto body shops to quick lube stations, these tips help owners and operators maintain their facility, enhance image and increase customer satisfaction.
“Auto shops often don’t realize the impact that cleanliness has on business and customer satisfaction,” said Dave Mesko, senior marketing manager, Cintas Corp. “Through a comprehensive approach, shop owners can keep their facilities clean and truly differentiate themselves from the competition.”
Cintas recommends the following tips to maintain a clean auto shop:
1. Plan daily floor maintenance: Shop floor cleanliness is increasingly important as many technicians take customers into the service area to discuss their vehicle’s condition. To keep floors in the service area clean, develop daily floor cleaning protocols to remove any debris accumulated throughout the day. Create cleaning schedules based on peak business times and train employees in proper techniques. In addition to sweeping and mopping, use agitation tools such as brushes and autoscrubbers to keep fluids and oils from building up on flooring surfaces. Maintain cleanliness by stocking important supplies such as oil containment products to handle unsightly and dangerous spills.
2. Provide effective cleaning tools: To guarantee effectiveness of cleaning programs, equip the shop with proper chemicals and supplies. Chemical dispensing units guarantee that solutions are mixed correctly each time to boost effectiveness of cleaning programs and employee safety. These units also save time by eliminating manual mixing and providing quick access to properly diluted chemicals. Microfiber mops and dual chamber mopping buckets reduce the spread of contaminants from the service area to customer facilities.
3. Implement matting systems: Mats capture shop lubricants and fluids and prevent their spread into customer areas. Combine scraper and carpet mats at all entrances to prevent the spread of debris throughout the shop. Place anti-fatigue mats in high-productivity zones to catch any spills and reduce worker injury. In addition to placement, make sure that mats remains clean and functional by partnering with a professional mat laundering service.
4. Schedule deep cleanings: While daily cleanings remove dirt and debris, they aren’t always sufficient in the total removal of buildup from lubricants, antifreeze, brake and power-steering fluids. Schedule periodic deep cleanings through the entire shop to remove grime and ease daily cleaning duties. A combination of temperature, agitation, chemicals and extraction effectively removes chemical residue, oil and dirt from all shop surfaces. Partner with an automotive facility services provider to ensure deep cleanings are performed efficiently with minimal business interruption.
5. Improve employee appearance: Ensure that personnel look and feel their best by implementing a uniform program. Partner with an apparel rental service to make sure that employees consistently greet customers with a freshly-laundered uniform. Provide scratchless belts to ensure that customer vehicles stay in top condition while employees execute services. Promote the shop’s image with uniforms that display company logos and employee names to personalize the guest experience and boost employee morale.