Meritor, Inc. announced that it has equipped trucks with more than 100,000 14X tandem drive axles since its launch less than two years ago. Since its introduction, the 14X has exceeded performance and reliability expectations and become the most widely adopted axle in the commercial vehicle industry.
"We would like to thank our customers for their support of our products. They are the most important element of our business," said Joe Plomin, vice president, North and South America, Truck, Meritor. "The 14X is an advanced axle system and was built on the legacy of the highest-volume tandem drive axle in commercial truck history: the Meritor RT145."
As the lightest axle in its class, the features and benefits of the Meritor 14X axle include:
- A 2.47 ratio, which is the fastest axle ratio in the industry and the most fuel efficient solution for vehicles with direct drive transmissions. With ratios ranging from 2.47-7.17, the 14X contains the most expansive ratio range available to address specific application needs;
- A more robust inter-axle differential (IAD), which is 20 percent larger than its predecessor, the RT145, with fewer parts;
- An all-new industry benchmark axle breather, which prevents water and other contaminants from entering the carrier while keeping lube in place;
- A standard premium Amboid gearing design, improving inter-axle driveline angles;
- An optional Meritor DualTrac housing, providing flexibility to choose between dual and single wide-based tires, addressing wheel bearing overload issues associated with wide base tire applications.
"As a result of listening to our customers and understanding the focus on fuel economy and reliability, we engineered the Meritor 14X axle to deliver improved fuel economy, maximum performance and superior efficiency for North American fleets," Plomin said.
Meritor's 14X axle not only handles up to 2,050 foot-pounds of torque, but also provides fleets with reduced maintenance and downtime. Drivers of vehicles equipped with14X are rewarded with a smooth ride due to reduced driveline vibration.
The company's highly regarded and industry-savvy field team, available across the U.S. and Canada, assist dealers and fleets with specifications, technical support, training and service. Meritor's Aftermarket business, which includes parts-inventory and service specialists in Florence, Ky., Brampton, Ontario, and Monterrey, Mexico, provides responsive after-the-sale support for the 14X, ultimately minimizing vehicle downtime.
New truck axles and systems are being engineered with distinct features to provide cost and operational benefits to end users. A new whitepaper from Meritor, Drive Axle Technologies...