As North American truck fleet executives gather at the 2011 American Trucking Associations (ATA) Management Conference & Exhibition, Navistar is showcasing several driver-centric features on two of its most popular models—the International ProStar+ and the International TranStar.
“Rebounding freight volume, along with the effects of CSA 2010, have resulted in a growing driver shortage among Class 8 fleets,” said Jim Hebe, Navistar senior vice president, North American sales operations. “Customers today are asking us more and more to provide products that will help fleets attract and retain qualified drivers. We believe these product features deliver on that need.”
ProStar+ Features Diamond Interior Concept; Includes New Technology, Creature Comforts
Already one of the most highly regarded and driver-preferred Class 8 trucks on the road today, the International ProStar+ vehicle showcased at this year’s conference features a new Diamond interior trim package design concept, offering diamond-stitched trim on the seats, door panels, and throughout the sleeper cab. The aesthetics put a modern twist on the classic “tuck-and-roll” look, but is also designed for maximum durability and easy cleaning. This interior option will be available for order in mid-2012.
Navistar also featured several new driver-centric options that are available for order in ProStar+ today, including:
• A premium in-dash GPS system featuring prognostics, fault code and tire pressure monitoring, and a premium stereo featuring XM Radio, iPod/MP3 command and control and multiple speakers. These options are designed to make the drive both more productive and more enjoyable for drivers.
• The MaxxPower Battery Powered HVAC system delivers a best-in-class no-idle heating and cooling solution. In addition, the auto stop/start feature safeguards against battery depletion under extreme temperature conditions by automatically starting the engine to recharge the batteries. This feature assists drivers with sleep apnea by ensuring the truck battery does not unexpectedly deplete overnight due to CPAP machine operation and ensures adequate starting power after extended bunk time.
• The Bendix Wingman Advanced collision mitigation system brings together adaptive cruise control with braking features along with collision mitigation braking technology. Bendix Wingman Advanced provides the driver following distance alerts and, if necessary, will apply the brakes to help the driver potentially avoid the collision, or help reduce its severity. The system also provides unique stationary object alerts, providing the driver up to a three second warning of any metallic object blocking the driver’s lane of travel.
• The Bendix all-wheel air disc brake package not only meets the new reduced stopping requirements, but exceeds them. It provides the very best braking performance in its class.
• Bendix AutoVue lane departure warning system alerts the driver when his vehicle unintentionally departs a lane to the left or right.
• LED exterior lighting that is designed to last 100 times longer and use 75 percent less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs. This feature helps keep drivers in compliance with CSA 2010 regulations by reducing the number of times a bulb goes bad over the life of a vehicle.
• A Fontaine 12" Ultra NT fifth wheel offers weight savings of up to 50 lbs. or more over competitive products and features a no-slack feature which reduces the “chugging” caused when a trailer ball has excess room in the fifth wheel, making for a smoother ride for the driver, especially in stop-and-go situations.
Will be optional on certain Class 8 models.