Christopher Barnett, a technician with Ryder System’s Crittenden, KY, location, was named Grand Champion at this year’s National Technician Skills Competition, held earlier this week in Pittsburgh, PA, as part of the Technology & Maintenance Council (TMC) Fall Meeting.
This competition, also known as the TMCSuperTech, was the eighth annual industry-wide event dedicated to honoring technician professionalism and to acknowledging the best of the best.
North America’s premier technical society for truck equipment technology and maintenance professionals, TMC is a technical council of American Trucking Associations, the largest national trade association for the trucking industry.
A two-day event, the TMCSuperTech has been specifically designed as a venue for technicians to exhibit their knowledge, skills and aptitude with medium and heavy duty commercial vehicles. The competition involves a series of written and hands-on diagnostic and problem-solving tests and challenges to test both theory and practical application.
Any actively employed commercial vehicle technician may participate in the competition. The technicians that perform the best win tops honors and numerous prizes.
Taking second place in TMCSuperTech2012 was John Ragland, senior global vehicle technician, FedEx Express, Kansas City, MO. Third place went to Christopher Tate, a Thermo King technician with Mohawk Truck, West Seneca, NY, and a past Grand Champion.
Others ranked in the top 10 were:
4. Michael Vallery, lead technician, Oak Harbor Freight Lines, Newberg, OR.
5. Robert Gonzalez, technician, Ryder System - Supply Chain, Plant City, FL.
6. Eric Vos, technician, FedEx Express, Boise, ID.
7. Michael Bogart, technician, FedEx Express, Appleton, WI.
8. Timothy Peters, technician, Ryder System, Conover, NC.
9. Mark McLean, technician, FedEx Freight, Montgomery, NY.
10. Joseph Calaway, fleet technician, Walmart Transportation, Jonesville, MI.
Skill station winners
The competitor that achieved the highest score on the written test was Alan Davenport, senior global vehicle technician, FedEx Express, Brentwood, TN.
Christina Haug, a technician with Swift Transportation, Phoenix, AZ, was the first woman technician in the history of the TMCSuperTech to advance to the skills station portion of the competition
TMCSuperTech2012 had 17 skills stations, one more than last year. The top ranking technicians at this portion of the competition were:
- Electrical: Randy Qualls, technician 3, Walmart Transportation, Waterloo, SC.
- Brakes: Timothy Sloan, fleet maintenance technician, FedEx Freight, Indianapolis, IN.
- Engine Electronics: Alan Davenport, senior global vehicle technician, FedEx Express, Brentwood, TN.
- Engine Hardware: David Berdovich, technician, Ryder System - Supply Chain, Valparaiso, IN.
- HVAC: Donald Warman, tech 7, TravelCenters of America, Garland, TX.
- Suspension: Robert Gonzalez, technician, Ryder System - Supply Chain, Plant City, FL.
- Starting/Charging: Michael Bogart, technician, FedEx Express, Appleton, WI.
- Trailer Alignment: Troy Hiatt, fleet maintenance technician, FedEx Freight, Des Moines, IA.
- Drivetrain: Jason Kelman, ASE master technician, Navistar, Plover, WI.
- Tire and Wheel: David Berdovich, technician, Ryder System - Supply Chain, Valparaiso, IN.
- Fifth Wheel: Rudy Laguna, technician, H-E-B Grocery Co., San Antonio, TX. He won this station at TMCSuperTech2011 last year.
- Preventive Maintenance Inspection: Mitchell Buelow, fleet maintenance technician, FedEx Freight, Fremont, IN.
- Wheel End: David Lewis, ASE master fleet technician, Walmart Transportation, Amelia Court House, VA.
- Service Information: Michael Vallery, lead technician, Oak Harbor Freight Lines, Newberg, OR. He won this station in last year’s competition.
- Repair Order: Eric Vos, technician, FedEx Express, Boise, ID.
- Fasteners: Darrell Duggan, fleet technician, Walmart Transportation, Grantsville, UT.
- Safety and Environmental (new this year): Gary Shade, mechanic, Con-way Freight, Phoenix, AZ. Grand Champions
The Grand Champion winners of the TMCSuperTech since its inaugural event in 2005 are:
2005 - Steve Talmadge, Premier Truck Centers, Fultondale, AL.
2006 - Tyson W. Sontag, McKee Foods Transportation, Gentry, AR.
2007 and 2008 - Bryan Lewis, Wal-Mart Transportation, Sutherland, VA.
2009 and Christopher Tate, Mohawk Truck, Seneca, NY.
2010 and 2011 - Jeff Schlecht, Omaha Truck Center, Norfolk, NE.