TMC held its first TMCSuperTech competition in conjunction with its 2005 Fall Meeting that took place Sept. 18 to 22, in Valley Forge, PA. There were 67 technicians who competed.
Those with the top 50 scores from a written exam were tested the following day at eight skills workstations: Electronic Troubleshooting, Brakes, HVAC, Engine, Steering/Suspension, PMI, Drivetrain and Service Information.
Steve Talmadge, a technician with Premier Truck Centers, Birmingham, AL, earned the top overall score from the workstations to become Grand Champion of TMCSuperTech 2005.
Ryder System technicians Matt Van Zanten, Choctaw, OK, and Mike Bogard, Neenah, WI, earned second and third place in the contest. Van Zanten earned the top score at the Electronic Troubleshooting skills workstation. Bogard earned first place at the Steering skills workstation, plus achieved the highest score on the written test with 95 out of 100.
Other skills workstation winners included:
- Brakes – Kenneth Smith, Ryder.
- HVAC – Wayne Lambrecht, FedEx.
- Engine – Steve Talmadge, Premier Truck Centers.
- PMI – Darrel Gravley, Southeastern Freight Lines.
- Drivetrain, Alan LeFever, Pennsylvania Truck Center.
- Service Information, Rick Johnson, Middleton & Meades.