There are several key considerations when adding a snowplow to a medium duty chassis, says Stephen Ishihara with the Flink Company, a manufacturer of snowplows and spreaders (www.flinkco.com).
- Type of chassis.
- Gross axle weight rating for the front and rear axles.
- Gross vehicle weight rating.
- Whether the chassis has front frame extensions.
- Is there a stationary grill?
- What type of power will be used to operate the snowplow: electric over hydraulic or a clutch pump hydraulic system?
This is a very basic set of basic factors that ought to be taken into account in the decision-making process so the snowplow provider can determine a properly sized plow and lift frame that will best work on the particular chassis, Ishihara says.
He adds that it is always a good idea to discuss plowing plans with truck dealers and equipment distributors as this will help them in selecting the most appropriate equipment, options and accessories.