TMCSuperTech2008 is here! Think you know someone who’s up to the challenge?
TMCSuperTech2008 is TMC’s fourth-annual National Technician Skills Competition, designed to determine the industry’s top technician through a variety of troubleshooting tests over a two-day event.
Here’s how to get involved in TMCSuperTech2008:
Step 1 Register for TMCSuperTech2008
Any technician employed in the trucking industry may register for TMC’s National Technician Skills Competition. Technicians must be a TMC technician member to compete, but the nominal entry fee of $100.00 will cover the cost of a TMC Technician Membership for one year. Technicians who are already TMC Technician Members may register for TMCSuperTech2008 free of charge. Verified champions of state technician skills contests may also enroll without a fee. If needed, accommodation information will provided on your registration form.
NOTE: If your state trucking association or company is interested in holding their own preliminary SuperTech-styled event as a means of selecting finalists for TMCSuperTech2008, refer to TMC’s “How to Conduct a Technician Skills Competition” brochure, which can be downloaded from http://tmc.truckline.com.
Step 2 Come to Nashville for TMCSuperTech2008
Come to TMC’s 2008 Fall Meeting at the Renaissance Nashville Hotel in Nashville, Tenn, Sept 15-18. When you arrive on Monday, Sept. 15, you’ll be given your TMCSuperTech credentials and you’ll be asked to attend a special orientation for contestants.
Step 3 Compete in the TMCSuperTech Written Test & Pre-Qualification Challenge
All contestants will compete in a challenge round on Monday afternoon, Sept. 24 consisting of a written multiple-choice examination and a hands-on skill pre-qualification test. Contestants will be given two hours to complete the test.
Step 4 Attend the TMCSuperTech2008 Reception
After the examination, it’s off to the TMCSuperTech2008 Reception. It’s at this time that we will announce the names of the contestants who will compete in the finals on Tuesday, Sept. 16. Afterwards, everyone will get a sneak peak at the Skills Challenge stations, where the hands-on finals will take place the next day.
A maximum of 96 contestants (limit is tentative, subject to change depending on available resources) will advance to compete in the Hands-On Skills Challenge. Certified grand champions from State Trucking Association contests will automatically be included in the Hands-On Skills Challenge. All finalists will receive a special prize package that includes an Apple Ipod Touch media player!
Step 5 Enjoy the TMCSuperTech Competition!
On Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., qualifying contestants will compete in a series of 14 stations, covering the following diagnostic skills areas:
- Starting and Charging
- Tires and Wheels
- Wheel Ends
- Service Information
- Repair Order
- Fasteners/Fastener Repair
- Safety and Environmental
Lunch will be provided for all contestants, judges and other registered guests. Spectators will be welcome on the competition floor, too!
Step 6 Attend Wednesday’s Awards Luncheon
We’ll announce the winners of the competition and present trophies and prizes during TMC’s Wednesday Industry Awards Luncheon. Awards will be given for 1st, 2nd and 3rd best in the overall competition. Winners will also be named for those receiving the best score at each skills station.
- 1st Place: TMCSuperTech Grand Champion will receive an expense-paid trip of their choice to the 2009 Daytona 500, Super Bowl, or other equivalent package, plus other prizes. The winner will also be presented with special trophy and his or her name will appear on the TMCSuperTech Grand Champion Banner that is displayed at every TMC meeting.
- Second place and third place winners will also receive trophies and valuable prizes.
- Individuals who place “Best in Skills Category” will receive a Toughbook™ laptop and diagnostic tool package courtesy of Panasonic and Noregon Systems.
MONDAY, SEPT. 15
- 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.: Registration Desk Open—Contestants and participants can pick up registration packets
- 1 - 4 p.m.: TMC SuperTech2008 Contestant Orientation & Qualifying Written Exams
- 6:30 - 8 p.m.: TMC SuperTech2008 Welcome Reception & Hands-on Skills Finalists Announced
TUESDAY, SEPT. 16
- 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.: Registration Desk Open—Contestants & participants can pick up registration packets
- 7 - 8 a.m.: Buffet Breakfast
- 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.: TMC SuperTech2008 National Technician Skills Competition Hands-on Skills Challenge
ADDED BONUS: PTDC TRAINING FAIR
As an added bonus, all TMC attendees and TMCSuperTech2008 contestants will be able to attend the PTDC’s Training Fair, a series of hands-on training sessions designed for technicians, shop supervisors and fleet managers. This year’s Training Fair will offer various separate educational opportunities based on the skills stations held during the contest.
What’s more, this training qualifies for continuing education credit units accepted by the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF). Sessions are repeated during the two-day Training Fair, so you maximize the number of training opportunities.
PTDC Technician Training Fair Schedule
WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 17
- 6:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.: Registration Desk Open
- 6:30 - 8 a.m.: Buffet Breakfast
- 7 - 9:45 a.m.: PTDC Technician Training Fair
— 7 - 8:15 a.m.: Training Sessions
Session #1—Diesel Particulate Filter Cleaning and Handling
Session #2—Starting Systems
Session #3—Filtration Systems
— 8:30 - 9:45 a.m.: Sessions #1-4 repeat
- 9:45 - 11:45 a.m.: Shop Talk/Failure Analysis
- Noon - 2 p.m.: TMC Awards Luncheon-TMC SuperTech2008 Grand Champion announced
- 2:15 - 5 p.m.: PTDC Technician Training Fair resumes
— 2:15 - 3:30 p.m.: Training Sessions
Session #5—Cooling System Maintenance
Session #6—Tire Inflation Monitoring Systems
Session #7—Lubricants and Sealants
— 3:45 - 5 p.m.: Sessions #5-7 repeat