"It keeps the guys on their toes as far as what they have to be in tune with in order to be confident in their skill levels when they get to the competition," he says. "We're trying to get them to make sure that they follow the protocols that we have-the diagnostic 'trees' and that type of thing that are laid out before them in order to complete the task they're assigned at the workstation."
Top 10 Finishers
1. David Bryan Lewis - Wal-Mart Transportation, Amelia Court House, VA
2. Scott Bennett - Ryder System, Inc., Tacoma, WA
3. Michael Bogard - Ryder System, Inc., Neenah, WI
4. Daniel Myers - Roberts Truck Center, Albuquerque, NM
5. Randy Qualls - Wal-Mart Transportation, Waterloo, SC
6. Timothy Peters - Ryder System, Inc., Newton, NC
7. Christopher Barnett - Ryder System, Inc., Alpharetta, GA
8. Bailey Johnson - McKee Foods, Stuarts Draft, VA
9. Thomas Pianalto - Diamond International Trucks, Lowelll, AK
10. Christopher Tate - Mohawk Truck, West Seneca, NY
Skills Station Winners:
• Steering & Suspension -- Christopher Barnett - Ryder System, Alpharetta, GA
• Fastener & Fastener Repair -- Norbert Estrada - TravelCenters of America, Gary, IN
• Starting & Charging -- Dave Thrower - FedEx National LTL, Middletown, PA
• Drivetrain -- Michael Bogard - Ryder System, Inc., Neenah, WI
• PMI -- Richard Fasoli - Con-Way Freight, Southampton, MA
• Brakes -- Norbert Estrada - TravelCenters of America, Gary, IN
• Electrical -- Ken Myers - New York State Motor Truck Assn., Victor, NY
• HVAC -- Thomas Pianalto - Diamond International Trucks, Lowell, AK
• Safety & Environmental -- Doug Skelly - First Vehicle Services, Pittsburgh, PA
• Service Information -- Kevin Schwarzbauer - Carolina International Trucks, Columbia, SC
• Repair Order Generation -- David Lewis - Wal-Mart Transportation, Amelia Court House, VA
• Wheel End -- Christopher Tate - Mohawk Truck, West Seneca, NY
• Tire & Wheel -- Eric Vos - FedEx Freight, Boise, ID
• Engines -- Phillip Mellor - Swift Transportation, Albuquerque, NM
TMC Offers Membership for Technicians
TMC currently has 213 technician members and is looking for more. The cost to join is $75 annually, and benefits include: a two-volume CD set of TMC's Recommended Practices Manual with supplements, monthly TMC Newsletter Fleet Advisor, providing in-depth articles on industry news (online); Fleet Maintenance & Technology, a quarterly magazine offering coverage of Council news and featuring in-depth articles on topics important to trucking professionals; access to industry training schedules; a TMC professional technician shoulder patch and substantial discounts on TMC products and publications, as well as meeting attendance. TMC President Robert Braswell says technicians are important for the organization as it moves forward.
"We recognize that attracting technicians to our organization is a movement towards our future existence and growth because often these individuals are the ones who eventually become fleet maintenance managers-a membership category that forms the backbone of our council," he says.
Visit www.tmc/truckline.com for more information.